Gaby's Story
February 5 – 11, 2007

Home Pictures Thank You's Events

Monday February 5, 2007

Gaby woke up still feeling nauseous this morning. She tried to eat some breakfast in bed but couldn't manage to get through much before sending it away. She stayed in bed for a couple of hours until the sick feeling subsided. She moved to the sofa later in the morning read a book and watched TV until Dawson arrived then they played video games and watched a movie. She said later that she enjoyed having another 'kid' around for a while today.
Gaby finally had something to eat this afternoon but almost immediately afterward was complaining about her stomach again. Poor thing just can't seem to get past the nausea.
By dinner time, she was feeling better again and managed to get down a veggie sub over the span of 2 hours. She felt pretty good for the remainder of the day, even well enough to read Grayson a story at bedtime.

Tuesday February 6, 2007

For most of the morning, Gaby was feeling ok but not great. Then just before lunch time her stomach turned sour again and she was back to being sick. She's had about enough of the constant sickness and is praying it will stop very soon.
By 3:00, she was feeling a bit better, had a little something to eat and played and drew some pictures with Grayson.
She was hungry at dinner and ate pretty well but started to feel nauseous again so she went to her bedroom and watched a movie. She went to sleep early tonight as she has to be up early tomorrow to make it to her appointment at the clinic.

Wednesday February 7, 2007

Gaby was up very early (even for her) to get to the clinic on time. She is still having some cold symptoms so when we arrived they put her into isolation again. They got her blood work done right away and child life brought in some 'smelly' felts for her to draw with while we waited for the results.
Her counts came back good and the doctor said that she looks and sounds good but we are going to have to come back on Friday to get blood work done again to see if her counts are still going down. If the results show that they are still on their way down, we'll have to get more of the injections that help boost her white cells to get her through until her body recovers.
After the hospital visit, we went to The House of Rose in Langley to get Gaby fitted for a full wig. She's been asking about getting one for some time but hasn't felt well enough to get out there. She was very excited about getting the wig and can't wait until it is ready.
Once home, she was pretty tired and felt a bit nauseous so she went up to her room, played on her computer and got some rest.
She was feeling better by dinner time and ate pretty well and was in bed at a reasonable time.

Thursday February 8, 2007

It was a pretty uneventful day for Gaby today. We had some running around to do in the morning and she was very happy to be out in her new pink hat that she received from our neighbour. She was excited to find the hat this morning and couldn't wait to put it to use.
When we got home, Gaby was tired again and didn't want to do much more than lay around the house. She managed to read a book and enjoyed having Gray home to play with. She only had a moment or two of nausea today and her cold symptoms have lessoned a bit so hopefully she is at the end of this virus. Mom came home with Gaby's veggie sub and she also tried a piece of a veggie sushi roll, which she loved. Maybe this will be her new favourite food! Gaby and Mom played games on the computer, then Gaby had a bath and watched a short movie in bed. At bedtime, Gaby read Mom a book and talked about how excited she is about getting her Butterscotch Pudding wig.


Friday February 9, 2007

Gaby was up early for her clinic appointment at 9:45am for blood work and possibly more GCSF.
While we waited for the results of her blood work Child Life came by and played music with Gaby for awhile. Gaby always loves her time with the Child Life staff, especially the music. Gaby spent a lot of time doing math, spelling and some writing in her textbook. She also made some 'bye bye' pictures for the doctor and nurse.
Gaby's counts came back very low and was given another few days of GCSF to help boost her white cells. On the way home Gaby requested Earls chicken and fries but started feeling sick about 15 minutes from there and just wanted to get home and go to bed. Once home Gaby went right upstairs and crawled into bed and fell asleep almost immediately. Before she fell asleep she told Mom that she probably isn't going to be able to go to the Goulding family fundraiser tonight at her school because she 'just isn't feeling good'. She was really looking forward to seeing some of her friends again and watch Zany Zack (a magician) perform.
Gaby slept for 1.5 hours and when we checked on her she had a temp of 38.7. We removed her blankets and hat and when we took her next temperature she was sitting at 37.5, We hooked Gaby up to the feeding machine to get some fluids in her and 1.5 hours later her temperature was back up to 38.5. We kept monitoring her every 15 - 20 minutes and her temp never went below 38.2.
We called the on-call oncology doctor at Children's and were told she had to be admitted. Guy and Gaby left for the hospital around 9pm. Gaby was very sleepy and just wanted to sleep in the truck on the way there.
Once at the hospital they will likely take blood and run cultures, start her on fluids and probably give her some Tylenol to bring down the fever. Having done this a few times now we are expecting Gaby (and Guy) to be at the hospital for at least 2 days.

Saturday February 10, 2007

Gaby's fever was down to 37.8 when we got to the hospital last night. They put her into a room in the ER and hooked her up to give her some fluids. She wasn't keeping anything down at home so she was really in need of some fluids.
They found her a room around 2:00am and she was moved upstairs about a half hour later. At first, we thought we'd be spending the night in the ER but thankfully a bed opened up upstairs.
Her counts this morning are better than they were Friday morning (still not great) and she had no fever to speak of overnight but was still sick a couple of times. The doctor felt it was best that she remain in the hospital for the regular 48 hours to ensure she wasn't fighting a bacterial infection.
Gaby slept pretty late and woke up feeling sick so she was given anti-nausea drugs to keep her stomach in order and within an hour she was eating some clear soup and soda crackers. Not long afterwards, she was asking for some potato chips and ritz crackers. The nurse told her she could have a few chips if she could finish her soup…without feeling sick. She made quick work of the soup and got her chips but will have to wait for Grandma and Grandpa Mel to bring the crackers.
Grandma and Grandpa arrived a short time later and brought lots of stuff to keep Gaby busy. They also brought her mini ritz crackers that she went to work on right away. She stayed up a little late tonight watching a movie and playing the games from the DVD.

Sunday February 11, 2007

Gaby slept well last night, she only got up once to go to the bathroom and didn't complain of nausea at all. She still didn't have much of a fever overnight. At one point, she was up to 37.8 but as soon as her hat was removed her temperature came down again.
The doctor came in the morning to let us know that she could go home as her counts were good and she wasn't feeling too bad. She got sick once before we left the hospital but said she was still feeling better and wanted to go so we asked for some anti-nausea drugs before we left.
From the hospital, we went to Grandma and Grandpa Mel's house for dinner and she was feeling well enough to go with Grandma and Mom to a store down the road where Grandma picked up her and Gray some dress up costumes. The kids had a great time dressing up in their new costumes and put on a 'play' for everyone.
We went home early and Gaby was feeling pretty tired so she went to bed shortly thereafter.
<-- Week 32   Week 34 -->